Monday, July 2, 2007

Perspectives: Interviews with CAP Personalities- Lt Estelle Kelly,CAP

A Chat with Group V Public Affairs Officer Lt Estelle Kelly, CAP
By Major Joe Ely Carrales, CAP

The Corpus Christi Comp Squadron presents this interview with Lt Estelle Kelly, Group V Public Affair Officer, conducted Saturday 6 June 2007.

Greetings and Welcome one and all to the long anticipated Carrales-Kelly interview. I am your host, Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales and this issue we have a riveting interview with someone I consider a very lovely person, our own Group V Public Affairs officer 1st Lt Estelle Kelly of sunny San Antonio, Texas.

We begin our interview by asking a very basic question… How long have you been in the Civil Air Patrol, Lt Kelly…

“I became an official member of the US Civil Air Patrol in 2005 with the Alamo Composite Squadron. However, I had participated unofficially behind the scenes with the St. John the Evangelist Catholic School Cadet Squadron. Ah, the lovely romantic days of Civil Air Patrol: When someone said there was a problem I had deniable plausibility!”

Very good. We all come to CAP for various reasons. For some it’s flying...for others its just a basic call for unique community service to our nation. Tell me...What attracted you to CAP?

“I came to Civil Air Patrol the Irish way-which is ‘round about and half backwards. A new teacher arrived at St. John the Evangelist Catholic School and she hit it off with the “younger” teachers. We all had a way of meeting for lunch and being the newest teachers in the school we wanted to make an impact with our obligation to facilitate an extracurricular school program. Her husband was in the Air Force and she obtained information on the Civil Air Patrol Cadet Program. We loved it and ran a test year to see if it would be suitable for the middle school students. Col. Billman came in and guided the school program along the next year and it seemed to have legs. Intrigued, I wanted to do more than just facilitate a cadet program and was recommended to the Alamo Composite Squadron. Arrived a meeting one night, met Diane Wieman who pretty much told me I was staying and it stuck (I think I was to startled to say no!) We’ve been carrying on carrying on ever since !”

Yes, I can understand completely, providing opportunities for our youth is a worth effort. I’m curious, however...What attracted you to Public Affairs in the Civil Air Patrol?

“I have a natural love of writing and once did a stint with a local newspaper as an assistant for a photographer. It was something I always wanted to explore further and I was amazed that Civil Air Patrol gave me that opportunity.”

I have to admit, I too have a knack for writing and think journalism is “fierce cool!” So, the Alamo Composite Squadron was your first unit?

“I started out as the Alamo Composite Squadron Public Affairs Officer and a year ago, June 30, was promoted to Group V Public Affairs.”

I, for one, am glad to have you. What were your feeling and expressions when Lt Col Billman asked you to be the PAO for a Group that is larger than some Wings?

“I remember how Col. Billman asked me if “I was interested” and the next thing I knew I had an email saying it was confirmed! First thought: Why did the Irish half of me always run away with my mouth letting my brain follow afterwards? Though really I was pleased because I knew so many members who were doing so much and they needed to have their
work recognized.”

It is obvious that Lt Col Billman has lots of faith and trust in you. Clear “vision” is a hallmark of Group V’s programs and its Commander. What are your visions for Public Affairs in Group V?

“I have a picture of a pyramid in my head for Public Affairs. The first level has been getting the know the squadrons as they see themselves, as Col. Billman sees them and then as they are seen through the prism of Wing and Regional. The second level has been to provide some tools so that we can have public affairs officers working within each squadron. We now have a public affairs newsletter and very active members with in the group who provide wonderful material for Civil Air Patrol media outlets. We are working on the third level which is to create a Group V newsletter so that we can see ourselves as a whole. The next several layers deal more with Wing, Regional, and National HQ issues for public affairs. That is coming into play now so we will have a lot of information filtering down from the top and out into the public media. Eventually, I want to see information moving more easily from the squadrons on up and then we can further develop solid public affairs outreach.”

Outstanding! ...and we have seen lots of things happening in Group V, articles about US CAP and efforts of Squadron activities. If I may be so bold, in your opinion, What is the key to improving CAP generally all around in Group V?

“The biggest key is giving ourselves a whole picture of what we do. Once we can see ourselves as a whole it is easier to understand our great achievements and our needs. We can then network much easier to solve our needs and support our achievements.”

Yes, unity is a key in my opinion as well. Let’s, however, talk a little shop. What is, in your opinion, indicative of a unit with solid Public Affairs?

“Every unit, from the one with five cadets who attend an air show in their blues to the bigger units creating media publicity for themselves is a unit with solid public affairs. They are simply at different stages of public affairs capability. As the Group Public Affairs Officer I can facilitate in many ways such as offering ideas in newsletter or writing an article based on a conversation however, I it is essential that the squadrons are honored for who they are and to celebrate each stage of their squadron life."

...And your thoughts about the larger picture, Where do you think CAP as a whole will go with Public Affairs in the near Future?

“Public Affairs seems to be working both sides of Civil Air Patrol very well. For the Corporate part of Civil Air Patrol we are gearing up for a heavy marketing campaign. In the U.S. Air Force Auxiliary part of Civil Air Patrol we are developing mandates that will allow Public Affairs to operate more in line with the traditions of the U.S. Air Force.”

Excellent, and now for what will become our signature question, Who is the real 1st Lt Estelle Kelly?

“She is still a rather gangly 13 year old whose Great Aunt Bonnie used to take her out the little landing strip in Middletown, Rhode Island, and let her sit in the cockpit of an airplane that winged through the same air that held Amelia Earhart aloft. When she would drop me off she always wanted to see the little moon-lander that I was constructing for a school project. “They do it with spit, gum and a shoe string too!” she always said. “Brains, guts, and a wee bit of personality is all you need!” would always be her final remark. The real Lt. Estelle Kelly just hopes to emulate all three.”

I also asked Lt Kelly about her closest felt goals for the future, she said there are squadrons who have never had an article in Wings Over Texas and she wants them to be recognized. Her big project, however, is an upcoming Group V Newsletter. As far as real ambitions Lt Kelly sees training to serve on an emergency services mission as being the first steps to meeting her Aunt Bonnie’s qualifications. For the Corpus Christi Comp Squadron, I’m Major Joe Ely Carrales… SEMPER VIGILANS!!!

No comments: